Saturday, March 31, 2012

The new Blogger update ... sucks.

I've been using Blogger to host this site, and, frankly, its probably been one of my worst experiences with Google software, ever.

First of all, let me cover the the good things about it (i.e. why I chose it in the first place). Its very quick to get started with a blog, its easy to add AdSense if you want it, and that's about it.

What's wrong with it?

First of all, the widgets model is broken beyond all belief. All of the widgets that are provided are pretty much useless, and most things like syntax highlighting and LaTeX involve tacking on bits of Javascript onto the page, which Blogger doesn't mix with all too well. 

Secondly, the editor sucks. We're in 2012 here people, and it STILL escapes out when I hit tab. Why is this so difficult? Isn't Blogger now developed by the same company that makes Google Docs? 

Then, once Google+ came along, all of the other "social" buttons have been pushed off to the side and made quite tiny, which, is understandable when considering it from Google's point of view, but, from my point of view, it doesn't make much sense.

The themes are also far from amazing (http://www.bloggerthemes.net/ does try to remedy this), and the selection in font is pretty much non-existent. 

And, most of all, Blogger, in general, seems to try to get in your way every single time you want to just "write a short entry", or "get this article on the internet". 

So, what did the update fix/add?

It added some analytics directly on the front page; I was surprised to find out this blog had over 50,000 page views in the past 2 weeks. 

Also, it cleaned up a editor a *tiny* bit (it still escapes out on the tab), and, the main replacement was just making the editing textarea/contenteditable larger.

The design is also much better and clearer.

But, they still completely ignored the actual problems that plague Blogger; so, I just can't keep waiting any longer, I'm going to try and pick from the enormous assortment of options (Posterous had caught by eye, but, its been acquired, so, I don't want to risk anything on it). 




7 comments:

  1. You should take a look on Tumblr. I did the move from WordPress to it and my experience at the time is great, loving how it's integrated with other blogs and people.

    If you want to check out my blog: http://nathancampos.me/ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Socialkik Great Info… always need to know what to do, or not to do, with our valuables!!!Visit Me At:http://watchmoviesonline-hqv.blogspot.com.

      Delete
    2. Deepsharma,

      I work really hard to keep my posts entertaining and this blog clean of crap and people like you aren't going to come along and ruin it.

      Delete
  2. Good Blog About Computer Science, Math and Clever Dolphins.

    Post by
    Follow Us On Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article is very useful and can increase your knowledge about computer and internet science.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s nice to see that you have researched this topic, provided good quality information and presented interesting points that compel your readers to think. I appreciate the effort you put into your content. Thank you.

    Socialkik

    ReplyDelete
  5. If somebody wants expert take on the main topic of blogging next I advise him/her to go to this site, continue the fussy job.Tampa's best virus removal service

    ReplyDelete